Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pumpkin bread; Radiohead

Well, I got home from the gym yesterday and was feeling totally jazzed!!!, so I decided to whip up some pumpkin bread for my America's Next Top Model bitches. It was a wet, chilly, unpleasant day and I was happy to get some alone time at home before everyone came over (thank heavens for DVR).

I downloaded Radiohead's new download-only album, In Rainbows, a few weeks ago, but I hadn't really given it a listen until last night. It's pretty great. I've always been a fan, but their last album didn't sit so well with me. Too noisy. In Rainbows is kind of opposite. It's orchestral and glitchy and electronic and cold-sounding, but with soaring strings and warm, bassy pulses and clicks and harmony. (That sounds like some lame critic on iTunes wrote it, but I promise it was really all just me being a lame critic.) Point is, I like it. A lot. It's perfect for these dreary, chilly New York City fall days. I think the album actually sounds better when it's wet outside. Is that possible?

To buy it, you pay what you want - even zero dollars. Then you get a link and you download it. It's very worth the minimal effort.

http://www.inrainbows.com/
RH-Rainbows

I played this while I worked on some pumpkin bread. We finally got a chilly night, so the idea of something warm and spicy and pumpkiny seemed right. Also, it's dead easy to make. My oven wasn't even preheated by the time I was done making the batter and cleaning up!

I used a recipe from Epicurious for basic spiced pumpkin bread. It had everything I wanted - cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin - but I adjusted the amounts of each. I don't like too much nutmeg, and I find a teaspoon of ground cloves to be a tad too much, so I cut those down and upped the cinnamon. As always, I used about 1/4 cup less sugar that called for. It worked. It maybe needs like 1/2 a teaspoon more salt. I don't like using canned pumpkin (or canned anything, for that matter), but roasting (or boiling) and skinning a pumpkin is a massive undertaking and I didn't feel like it. I just wanted something quick and easy and autumnal, and I had a can of Libby's canned pumpkin in the cupboard, so whatevs. Also, when I have used fresh pumpkin, people never like it as much. They expect "pumpkin" to taste like the stuff from teh can. Overall, I was pretty happy with the result. Especially considering how easy it was to make.
The guys last night got it fresh out of the oven. I made a cinnamon-sugar glaze and drizzled it on top.
PknBrd 003

My coworkers got the remainder. I boxed it up and brought it in today. It got rave reviews, so I'll definitely keep this recipe on hand. It was very moist, not too sweet, and very flavorful. And did I mention how easy it was?? I bet it would be really good with maple syrup in it, or maybe toasted, with honey butter on top. Mmm. Oh wow, I just made my mouth water.
PknBrd 009

I might attempt to remake that Sherry Yard apple pie tonight. I have all those apples that aren't going to keep forever. We'll see how I feel when I get home.

Pie for now.
(thanks Lion)

2 comments:

Matt Flanders said...

That damn punkin bread was almost as hot as Tyra. I loved it. You rule, Kiki.

Mike said...

Yummmmmmmmm